Thursday 22 July 2010

Family Bowling Time

Family bowling times here in Thailand were so much that it had drained lots of our financial resources.

I started bowling since I was in the Philippines during my college days back in 1989 during our Physical Education (PE) subject. We had the options to choose which sport we want to play for the whole semester.

Knowing that my grandfather was also a very good bowling player, I was more motivated to play more to achieve that status.

Because of my passion to this sport, I was able to improve more and more in terms of average and even won lots of tournaments, especially in our Diplomatic Bowling League (DBL) here in Thailand.

This more than 40-year International bowling club (where I became a President for one year -38th year) is composed of players from different people around the world who are working in Thailand, including Thais.

I came to Thailand alone and because of bowling, I met my wife in one of the bowling centers here in this country and the rest are history as you can see from these pictures which were taken during one of our weekly tournament every Sunday with my other bowling club composed of all Filipinos, supposedly. But, since some of the members have non-Filipino spouses, then it's a little mixed up.

Since the early part of 2000 until the early part of 2008, I had joined at least four bowling clubs, which one of it is from the University where I was working with.

My one contribution to this university bowling club was winning at least three tournaments and the most unforgetable one was during the all Thailand Inter-University Bowling tournament which was held in Nakhonsawan province where I had made an average of 212 (with 258 as the maximum score) beating all the other university team players.

It was a five-men team each playing 3 games and the scores were combined. All of my colleagues won't forget me because of this winning. They were so hungry for this winning because it was one the greatest bowling events for all Thailand's university bowling players they hadn't won yet as champion.

My greatest struggles was winning within my fourth clubs I had joined at Major Rathayothin bowling club every Sunday. I ended up a 1st runner-up only. My schedules were so hectic and my budget was so limited that I cannot do a lot more to perform excellently all the times.

However, I still felt great during those times because my family is always with me during most of my weekly and big bowling tournaments.

Now that all of our children are at school, I completely stop this passion to this sport mainly for financial reason and secondly, because of the nature of my work which involves lots of travelings outside Thailand.

If you really want to excel on this kind of sport, you need time, money and of course, the passion to do it.
By the way, before I forget, I have played and was playing and winning lots of tournament using a simple, straight bowl.

My greatest achievement so far was the passing of the qualifying round during one of the Thailand Bowling Open where I had the opportunity to play along with one of the World's Greatest bowler - Mr. Rafael (Paeng) Nepomuceno.

No comments:

Post a Comment